Men's Health Initiative
Men's Health Initiative is a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization founded in 2010 and officially recognized by the Internal Revenus Service (IRS) since 2015.Our mission is to provide the spaces and opportunities to educate, empower, and build agency among boys, men, and their loved ones to achieve optimal health and wellness. We take a holistic perspective to health and well-being that fosters social, emotional, physical, mental, spiritual, and environmental protective factors. Our approaches focus on connections; that is connecting with oneself and with others. We seek to build a culture of wellness by not exclusively focusing on a particular group of males or their loved ones. We strongly believe and promote the idea that we all benefit from the promotion of health and wellbeing. We recognize our work not only helps improve the health and well-being of the males we care for, but also of those closest to him as each of our own health is influenced by the health of those we love. By helping males heal themselves, males can become healers of their community.
Our core values:
- Community: We embrace community. We recognize that our work cannot be achieved in silos. We believe in collaboration and the power a team of like-minded individuals can have in improving the health and wellbeing of others.
- Inclusivity: We embrace inclusivity. We foster a culture of inclusivity among our organization and the populations we serve. We bring together and harness diverse experiences, perceptions, and resources. To us, inclusivity leads to diversity where a rich environment of respect, involvement, and connection is cultivated and valued.
- Opportunity and Assets: We embrace the lens of opportunity and assets. Our work focuses on identifying and implementing facilitators of human agency to empower males and their loved ones to be informed decisionmakers and to adopt healthy lifestyles. We are more interested in the things that keep us healthy and well in the first place.
- Evidence-informed Strategies: We embrace evidence-informed strategies. We challenge the way we approach our operations and serve our community. In doing so, we implement strategies that take the individuality of experience and blend it with a systematic process for discovering best-fit. In turn, we provide solutions that support authenticity and help each person find their own path in life.
What we do:
- Research: Generate new knowledge to improve the health and well-being of males.
- Programs: Translate knowledge into action in the community.
- Consultation: Provide strategies to support corporate social responsibility.
- Give Back: Prepare future professionals through student mentorship and collectively give back to the community through our Staff Volunteer Program.