Hello SB6 community stakeholders! Thanks for attending the first meeting of 2019!
Meeting Agenda & Recap is below.
|Preview Learning Centers: |
|Learning Center Session 1|
|Learning Center Session 2|
|Learning Centers Session 3|
|Learning Center Session 4|
|Learning Center Session 5|
|Wrap up & next meeting dates (April 25, July 18, October 24)|
Welcome to Mission Box Stakeholders! We are so excited to use this platform to share with our stakeholders more frequently and more timely, and to provide ever green material (this info will always be here for you!)
The January 24th, 2019 Meeting went very well: all of our learning stations were well received and we all had so much fun learning together. Here's the details from each station, in case you missed it:
- we learned about using Mission Box as our new Stakeholder Hub
- we walked through how to access Stakeholder groups and set up an account (if you want, no pressure!)
- HERE is information that walks you through "how to use Mission Box"
Texas Preschool Development Block Grant
Thanks to Cody Summerville from the Texas Education Agency for spending time with us to discuss ECE Grants! He has provided a handout for you to keep or share covering the basics of ECE Grants. Be sure to Download it:
Required Activities (of the Grant)
States are required to carry out five activities under the Preschool Development Grant:
1. Conduct a statewide birth-five needs assessment of the availability and quality of existing
programs in the state and the number of children being served and awaiting services
2. Develop a statewide birth-five strategic plan that recommends collaboration, coordination,
and quality improvement activities among existing programs
3. Increase parental choice and knowledge about the existing programs in the state’s mixed
delivery system and how to support their child’s development
4. Share best practices among early care and education providers to increase collaboration
and efficiency of services
5. Improve overall quality of early care and education programs
Success by 6 Early Childhood Resource and Referral
The Success by 6 Early Childhood Resource & Referral is launching this January with Cohort 1! We are so proud of all the work that Cristina Alvarado and her team has done to bring this to fruition.
The Success by 6 Early Childhood Resource and Referral is a community-wide tool that connects families to local resources. The Program will create a collaborative referral network amongst nonprofits and connect families to the best resources, including resources they would not have otherwise known about. This program is supported by Project HOPES (Healthy Outcomes through Prevention and Early Support).
- Find out more HERE
Brain Story Certification & Book Club
BRAIN STORY CERTIFICATION
A free, in-depth course for anyone who wants to learn more about the science of brain development. ·
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Lifelong health is determined by more than just our genes: experiences at sensitive periods of development change the brain in ways that increase or decrease risk for later physical and mental illness, including addiction. That finding is the premise of the Brain Story, which puts scientific concepts into a narrative that is salient to both expert and non-expert audiences. The Brain Story synthesizes decades of research and reflects a body of knowledge that experts agree is useful for policy-makers and citizens to understand. The Alberta Family Wellness Initiative (AFWI) has developed an online course to make Brain Story science available to professionals and the public. Brain Story Certification is designed for those seeking a deeper understanding of brain development and its consequences for lifelong health. The course is also designed for professionals seeking certification in a wide range of fields.
Videos of more than 30 leading experts in neurobiology and mental health . Certification in Brain Story science . 19 modules self-paced Interested in the Brain Story Certification? Sign up at the Alberta Family Wellness website and get started today! It’s easy and FREE! OPTIONAL ADD-ON Want to talk about the certification course with other Austin colleagues while you work through it slowly? Over wine and cheese? Join our “Brain Certification Book Club”
- We’ll meet every third Tuesday at the United Way office from 5:30 – 6:30.
- Very casual, no pressure session where we’ll discuss one module, talk about how we can use the information in our work, and encourage each other to finish the entire course and get certified!
- United Way will provide simple snacks and inexpensive but tasty wine and/or soft drinks.
- Complete a module on your own prior to the session – then come prepared to chat about it.
- No tests, no trick questions – just supportive conversations!
- 1) Become one of Many Austin early childhood professionals who are proudly “Brain Story” certified – and who support others as they complete the easy modules.
- 2) Create monthly opportunities for fun and supportive interactions with colleagues across our early childhood landscape.
2019 Book Club DATES listed in the "Events" tab!
Networking/Updates and Announcements
Del Valle fest (Scott Wille): Feb. 2 (Saturday) 8-12 at Del Valle High School (dvisd.net -> communications dept.)
Mainspring schools : Luncheon on April 2; info on website. Speaker topic focus is brain development in children ·
Prevent Child Abuse day Feb 12 at the Capitol : Advocacy opportunity.
Austin Public Health (Cynthia Washington):
- APH job fair coming up Feb. 8 (austintexas.gov)
- National week of prayer for the healing of AIDS in March
OPEN JOB POSITIONS:
Open Door Preschools:
- Larry is retiring at the end of June
- Opendoor looking for new ED -> on their website now
Austin Child Guidance Center: Hiring a Bilingual therapist (link on Indeed) ·
- Hiring a program manager for an Ed. Program (k-5)
St. George's Episcopal School:
- searching for a Director of Operations
- Email for more information: Jerri Thompson mailto:email@example.com
The Texas Institute for Child and Family Wellbeing
Jerimiah Program (Valerie Eubert):
- Enrolling families (kids 5 and under) now – on website (www.jerimiahprogram.comaustin/apply)
- Hiring teachers for 2yo and PreK 3 & 4
Austin Community Foundation
- new to early childhood space, finished RFP for women’s fund grant
- new focus area on access and quality child care for low income families
- Looking for new partners, letting people know they are funding in this space.
- RFPs always released in Nov/Dec of each year
- RFP in summer for Hispanic Impact Fund
- home based Triple P program, rolling enrollment.
- SAFE Fatherhood program has open slots·
- looking for co-location partners to expand their services
- Ideal: healthcare, schools, charter schools, church, space needs to have 3-5 class spaces, Manor/Pflugerville area and Dove Springs/Del Valle area.
New PIP groups: One at Any Baby Can and one Found Comm (Sierra Ridge) ·
Austin Public Health (Cynthia Washington):
- MIOP program has openings (pregnant or have a child under 1)
- Groups in the housing authority – right now at Northgate
- group for women, open to the public
- Next session on communication, credit/budget, women’s health, self care, etc.
- Suggestions for who needs to be at this meeting: MamaSana, Black women’s collective, Healthy Families ·
- Also opening up the model to any community partner
- For $3.50/kid they will partner and bring all supplies, parent ed, etc. 4-6 week lead time, ongoing – contact Katie@bookspring.org
- Example – HEB at Rundburg over spring break ·
(more info in the Events space of Mission Box)
SB6 Stakeholder Meetings for 2019:
- April 24th, 2019: 3:00-4:30 PM
- July 18th, 2019: 3:00-4:30 PM
- October 24th, 2019: 3:00-4:30 PM
Brain Certification Book Club:
- February 19th, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 1 Discussion)
- March 19th, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 2 Discussion)
- April 16th, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 3 Discussion)
- May 21st, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 4 Discussion)
- June 18th, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 5 Discussion)
- July 16th. 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 6 Discussion)
- August 20th, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 7 Discussion)
- September 17th, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 8 Discussion)
- October 15th: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 9 Discussion)
- November 19th: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 10 Discussion)
- December 17th, 2019: 5:30-6:30 PM (Module 11 Discussion)