Transforming lives of low-income homeowners in Montgomery County, MarylandRebuilding Together Montgomery County is a leading, national nonprofit in safe and healthy housing with more than 40 years of experience. Together, with corporate and community partners, the lives of low-income homeowners are transformed by improving the safety and health of their homes and revitalizing our communities.
Rebuilding Together’s local affiliates and nearly 100,000 volunteers complete about 10,000 rebuild projects nationwide each year.
From 1990 through 2016, Rebuild Together has accomplished the following:
- 47,408 volunteers engaged
- 6,425 skilled-trades professionals Deployed
- $19 million of value re-invested into local community
- 2,152 homes and 20+ nonprofit facilities improves
What we do:
- Break the cycle of poverty for low income families
- Provide children with a greater sense of stability
- Children often earn better grades and stay in school longer
- Accumulation of wealth and self-sufficiency
- Improved mental and physical health
- Universal understanding and empathy for fellow community members, regardless of differences
- More engagement = healthier, thriving communities
The struggle facing low-income women
Women are nearly a two-thirds fraction of minimum-wage workers in the country and more than 70 percent of low-wage workers are not eligible to receive paid sick leave. In addition, nearly 70 percent of the households observed by Rebuilding Together Montgomery County are led by women. Forty percent of all households, with children under the age of 18, include mothers who are either the sole or primary source of income; of these women, who hold full-time positions, 77 percent are earning less than their male counterparts.
According to USAID, a woman multiplies the impact of an investment made in her future by extending benefits to the world around her therefore creating a better life for her family and her community.
She builds in action
Rebuilding Together’s national office has put forth a concerted effort to recognize women as the “golden key” in our effort to make households across our region safer, healthier and stronger. She Builds is a national movement that aims to convene female leaders and activate their power through turn-key, family friendly, home renovation and community restoration projects.
In Montgomery County, we’re building on the success of our 2017 She Builds event and already have doubled the participation so far.
For more information about Rebuilding Together and their She Builds program, visit them here: rebuildingtogethermc.org