Helping with a variety of needs in Virginia
Action in Community Through Service (ACTS) was formed when 13 churches came together in 1969 to alleviate suffering and hunger in the Prince William, Virginia area. Today, ACTS is supported by many faith-based organizations, local business, civic groups, schools, families in the community, Prince William County Board of Supervisors and the United Way of the National Capital Area.
ACTS embraces a client-centered approach to helping our neighbors in the Greater Prince William County Area deal with crisis, recover from trauma and have their most basic human needs of food and shelter met with compassion.
ACTS’ founders began by addressing the most basic human needs of food and shelter. They established Prince William County’s first food bank, set up a used furniture distribution system and developed a homeless shelter in local churches. ACTS’ services expanded to meet other needs of the residents. Hunger and homelessness are still issues today. Services now also include a comprehensive domestic violence prevention and intervention program to include the whole family — women, men and children. In addition, Helpline are essential to people who have lost a loved one to suicide or who have attempted suicide.
Most recently, SAVAS joined the ACTS family of services in 2012 and is the only sexual assault crisis center serving Prince William county and the cities of Manassas and Manassas Park. Today, each of the programs addresses the mission of ACTS: to alleviate hunger, homelessness and interpersonal violence.
As the logo suggests, ACTS is optimistic about the future and are both here to offer a hand when the community reaches out to them, and they reach out to their local communities whenever they can be of service.
ACTS has been able to accomplish great service results in each of their focused areas in 2017 such as emergency assistance services, food pantry services, housing services, domestic violence services, sexual assault services, suicide hotline support and the ACTS‘ thrift store.
ACTS also provides these services to the community:
- Housing. Everyone deserves to have a roof over their heads. ACTS is here to help those who don’t. Whether you need a safe place to stay for the night or even a few weeks, ACTS Beverly Warren Family Shelter is open.
- Emergency assistance. We all can fall on hard times. ACTS Emergency Assistance is here to help with food, utility bills and other basic needs where we can. Book online to make a financial assistance appointment, or for food assistance.
- Sexual assault. We all can be with you from the hospital to the the courtroom and beyond, providing you with the support you need to heal. ACTS upholds the principle that sexual assault is a social rather than a personal problem.
- Domestic violence. Whether you are in need of immediate safety, assistance with a protective order, accompaniment to court, or need help moving forward, ACTS Domestic Violence Specialist can help.
- Suicide-related support. Suicide related support services are available for those who might be in danger, or to help the family of a lost loved one heal.
For more information about client services or to help donate, please visit them here: www.actspwc.org