Injury Prevention Coordinator (SKA Coordinator) General Job Responsibilities
This description of responsibilities is meant to be general and is not necessarily all inclusive of this position’s responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
Safe Kids Austin (SKA) - Coalition Coordinator (Primary Duties)
Safe Kids Austin Coalition is funded and led by the Dell Children’s Medical Center’s Injury Prevention Program.
The Coalition brings together health and safety experts, educators, corporations, foundations, government
Leads the SKA Board of Directors to establish the direction for the Coalition through the development and implementation of the strategic plan.
● Facilitates the SKA general membership meetings as well as supports the five standing objectives of the
Coalition (education, awareness, membership, policy, and data).
● Execute the business strategy of SKA.
● Actively participates with other community partners, groups and organizations to collaborate on child
● Works with other Dell Children’s teams (Outreach, Advocacy, Media, etc.) to align efforts with DCMC
● Keeps an open dialogue with Safe Kids Worldwide, participates in SKW State Leader meetings, and
submits all SKW reports on time.
● Communicates regularly with other Safe Kids coordinators in Texas and helps facilitate the quarterly Texas
Safe Kids meetings.
● Manages budget, supplies, media plan, volunteer recruitment/retention, training, event and meeting
● Conducts grant writing activities when necessary to obtain funding and resources for the SKA mission.
● Effectively communicates with Coalition and community members including the media in a timely fashion
related to SKA and injury information. Participates in media interviews as needed.
● Schedules, coordinates, communicates, and recruits volunteers appropriately for SKA events.
● Responsible for the SKA van supplies, drivers, and maintenance schedule.
● Updates and maintains information for SKA social mediums (webpage, facebook, twitter).
● Certification as a Child Passenger Safety Technician within one year.
● Certification as a Child Passenger Safety Technician Instructor is expected within 2 years.
Co-IP Coordinator (Secondary Duties)
In-patient service line assistance to the team IP Coordinator who is responsible for the program's patient
consultations. This service is mainly at DCMC facilities but does extend across the Ascension Texas network.
● Conducting patient/caregiver consultations on site.
● Focus on motor vehicle crash and special medical needs patient situations with purpose to find suitable
solutions to transport the patient at time of discharge.
○ This may include additional car seat technician training
● Assist with the facilitation and distribution of resources to other network facilities.
Simply Safety is a community safety resource and education center at Dell Children’s Medical Center. The center
provides the community with low cost access to child safety products such as car seats, home safety items,
water safety equipment, safe sleep materials, bike helmets and educational information. The responsibilities of
Simply Safety are shared with the other Injury Prevention team members.
● Works with other team members, hospital associates, and vendors to create and maintain a learning
environment and access to resources.
● Helps to manage and support the Simply Safety volunteer staff.
● Communicates with caregivers and community partners regarding child passenger safety best practices
and demonstrates proper use of a car seat with vehicle seat demonstrator.
● Acts as a community resource and manages public information related to safety and children
● Develops educational materials for children and families in an easy-to-understand format.
● Explains the function and features of products offered in the center and demonstrates proper use.
● Maintain inventory of educational materials, items for sale, and interactive displays.
● Provides excellent customer service to all customers regardless of socioeconomic status, race, sex, or
What You Will Do
Coordinate data analysis, program development and communication initiatives related to injury prevention.
- Collaborate in the design and implementation of research projects involving the collection of data and surveying of families to assist with the scientific investigation into the causes of injury.
- Analyze injury registry data and assesses community needs to aid in the development and evaluation of initiatives.
- Provide and facilitate injury prevention programs to the community to affect change in behavior and lessen the incidence of injury.
- Provide direct injury prevention services to patient families and hospital staff. Provide counseling to patients and their families while in the hospital.
What You Will Need
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
● Bachelor Degree or Equivalent (MPH degree preferred) in public/population health discipline
● Demonstrated leadership and coalition building skills necessary
● Strong networking and collaboration skills
● Presentation and facilitation skills
● Event planning, organization, and logistics skills
● Graphic design and layout skills
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Social Media knowledge and skills
● Strategic planning and implementation experience
● Child Passenger Safety Technician Certification (Instructor level preferred)
Why Join Our Team
Ascension Seton, based in Austin, Texas, has provided thousands of associates and caregivers a rewarding career in healthcare since 1902. We strive to expand access to high-quality, low-cost, person-centered care and services for all. We operate more than 100 clinical locations in central Texas, including two teaching hospitals, Dell Medical School at The University of Texas and Dell Children's Medical Center, where candidates can find both career and clinical education opportunities. If you are looking for a rewarding career in healthcare, explore a career with us today.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care – including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension Seton is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.