Thinkery is where Austin’s children and their families come to enjoy play-based, inquiry-rich, hands-on learning experiences. We believe that innovative, play-based, STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) learning experiences are a powerful way for children to develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and curiosity about the world around them. Our exhibits and programs encourage children—alongside their caregivers—to solve creative challenges, explore a variety of materials, and to develop new ways to complete unfamiliar projects. Through these activities, children gain the tools and confidence to develop and grow into enthusiastic, creative, lifelong STEAM learners and thinkers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As our Play Guide Manager you will have a key hand in the development of Thinkery's STEAM Youth Career & Leadership Development Program which will launch in August 2021. The Play Guide Manager oversees the learning and skill development and supervises culturally diverse participants ages 16-25 on the education track, known as Play Guides. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work collaboratively, possess exceptional organizational and leadership abilities, and a passion for supporting the skill development of teens and young adults. The Play Guide Manager works closely with the education team members to ensure that Play Guides are supported in activating the museum galleries with joyful, play-based STEAM experiences. The program will provide continued professional development in many aspects of museum work including providing excellent customer service, leading learning experiences for guests of the museum, and leadership skills. You will work closely with other teams across the organization to create a holistic program that will benefit the lives of youth and young adults and create a great experience for our guests.
- Co-develop, implement, and iterate Thinkery’s STEAM Youth & Career Development Program for a fall 2021 roll out.
- Launch a multi-year professional development program for youth targeting diverse communities and underserved populations
- Anticipate, identify, and respond to issues related to program support and implementation.
- Lead a team of Play Guides including recruiting, hiring, scheduling, and coaching.
- Actively model and coach staff in educational programming utilizing Thinkery’s approach of inquiry and play-based learning in an informal setting in STEAM topics.
- Steward relationships with community partner organizations to assist with the recruitment of culturally diverse program participants.
- Support financial stability of the museum through effective oversight of the leadership development program through:
- Budget management,
- Expense control and resource management, and
- Engaging with our Development team to solicit and steward contributed support.
- Support museum floor operations through oversight of daily operations in partnership with the Guest Services Team.
SUPPORT THINKERY’S MISSION AND VALUES:
- Steward a culture of cross-department communication, collaboration, and support work.
- Practice and advocate for Thinkery’s health and safety protocols.
- Represent Thinkery’s key values of inclusion, excellence, respect, innovation, playfulness, cooperation, and creativity.
- Commitment to support Thinkery’s dedication to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility initiatives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to use an equity framework to develop and implement inclusive, meaningful, relevant learning experiences.
- Understanding of STEAM subject matter and educational pedagogy.
- Inquiry- and play-based teaching skills.
- Leadership and staff management skills
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Project management experience
- Computer skills including MS Office Suite proficiency required.
- Strong presentation skills for adult and child audiences.
- Able to handle a varied and fast paced work environment.
- Schedule and availability reflect that the organization is a 7-day-a-week operation. This role’s regular schedule will be Tuesday through Saturday daytime shifts. Periodic duties outside of/in excess of regular work week schedule during seasonal high-volume times (i.e., holidays).
- Assist in engaging and sustaining Thinkery’s volunteers.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Education, Museum Studies or other relevant area or 4 years of equivalent experience.
- 2+ years’ experiences supervising teens and young adults.
- 2+ years' experience working with children and caregivers. Experience in science/children’s museum or other informal environment preferred.
- 2+ years' experience developing and implementing educational training programs.
- 2+ years' experience in program management including successful training and development of others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position is active. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Observe and react to the needs of guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Move throughout the museum.
- Manipulate and move exhibit components weighing up to 35 pounds, including those that may be low to the ground or above eye level.
- Work with solutions to clean and disinfect a variety of surfaces and props of assorted sizes at various heights.
- Communicate and exchange accurate information with guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners in a variety of formats including in-person, electronically, and over the phone.
- Detect and respond to safety hazards.
- Occasionally work in outdoor environments.
- Operate a cash register and computer efficiently and accurately.
- Conduct trainings and deliver content to groups of staff, guests and community partners.
Thinkery offers competitive and affordable benefits for our full-time staff including options for 100% employer sponsored medical coverage. Our benefits package includes:
- Medical insurance options including HSA, PPO Gold, and PPO Platinum plans.
- Affordable dental and vision.
- 100% employer sponsored EAP, STD, LTD, AD&D, and Life Insurance.
- 2 weeks of paid vacation, 4 weeks of paid sick leave, and 13 paid holidays each year.
- Pet friendly offices.
This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required. This job description may be updated as needed.
The Thinkery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items. All candidates offered a position will be required to submit to a background and reference checks.