COVID-19 VACCINATION: SAFE and EFFECTIVE
The COVID-19 vaccine is the safest and most effective way to protect yourself and your loved ones, and return to more of our normal life.
1) There are lots of good questions about the COVID-19 vaccine. And it’s important to make an informed decision for yourself.
● The COVID-19 vaccine was developed and tested in real-life scientific studies with tens of thousands of people around the world from many ethnic and cultural backgrounds, including Oregonians.
● Research and testing have shown that the vaccine is very effective at stopping COVID-19 -- and is safe for your body even if you experience some mild side effects.
● While you may experience side effects after getting the vaccine, it will allow you to avoid serious illness and help protect your loved ones.
● Vaccination is available for everyone at no cost. That means you should not be charged out-of-pocket costs, or receive a bill for your vaccine. This is true whether you have private insurance, the Oregon Health Plan, Medicare, or are uninsured. 2) Doctors and medical scientists say the vaccine is the safest and most effective way to stop the spread of the virus. ● The COVID-19 vaccine is an important new tool that will help us stop the virus.
● The vaccine teaches our immune system how to respond to the virus, activating the body’s natural defense system to stop the disease.
● Thousands of doctors and nurses are lining up to get the vaccine because it protects people from this deadly virus. 3) It will take time to make enough COVID-19 vaccine doses. Eventually, there will be enough vaccine available for everyone in Oregon who wants it. ● Oregon has a plan for rolling out the vaccine, starting with health care workers, teachers, childcare workers and older adults.
● As Oregon receives more doses of the vaccine, more people will be able to get it.
● We know that racism and historical trauma mean that some people are hesitant to get the vaccine. We are working to prioritize equity and collaborating with communities to build trust. 4) When enough people get a vaccine, we will be able to see our loved ones, celebrate holidays and return to more of our normal life.
● We all want to get back to doing the things we miss and seeing the people we love.
● Getting vaccinated is a way to keep ourselves, our families, and our communities safe from the virus. Once enough people get vaccinated, we will be free to open up businesses and schools again.
● Doctors will tell us when enough people have gotten the vaccine to make it safe for us all to return to our usual activities. Until then, it’s more important than ever to wear a mask, stay six feet apart, and avoid spending time with people you don’t live with.
● This has been a very challenging year, but our efforts to slow the spread of the virus are making a difference. We should all keep working together to keep our community safe.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TALKING ABOUT COVID-19 VACCINATION IN THE SIMPLEST TERMS
1) It’s okay to have questions about the COVID vaccine.
● The vaccine has been tested to make sure it is safe and effective.
● People all over the world have been part of the tests.
● The vaccine is free for everyone in Oregon.
● The vaccine is an important way to keep you and the people you love safe from COVID.
2) The COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective.
● The vaccine will make your body stronger to fight COVID. You cannot get COVID from the vaccine.
● A vaccine is a medicine. It protects you from getting sick. You get a vaccine by getting a shot in your arm from a nurse or doctor.
● For most kinds of the vaccine, you will need to get two shots. You get the second shot 3 or 4 weeks after you get the first one. It is important for you to get both shots for the vaccine to work.
● After you get the shot, you may have a sore spot on your arm where you got the shot. Some people will also feel tired or have a fever for a few days. This doesn’t mean you are sick. It means the vaccine is working to keep your body healthy.
3) It will take time to make enough vaccine for everyone.
● Oregon has a plan for when different groups can get the vaccine.
● Doctors will tell us when it is safe to go back to doing the things we did before COVID. Until then, it’s more important than ever to wear a mask, stay six feet apart, and not spend time with people you don’t live with.