APH Update on who to Contact with Information on Case Counts and Guidance Questions
January 19, 2021
Dear Child Care providers:
Those of you who tried to call the APH Nurse Line recently may have discovered that the line was not available. With the opening of the APH portal for vaccine pre-registration, the process has overloaded the nurse telephone line with calls. Our IT folks are working to solve these issues. We apologize that this is happening and for any inconvenience it may have caused.
As we work through these issues, please email us at ChildCareInfo@austintexas.gov for questions or to report COVID-19 cases. This email is reserved for child care personnel only - to report cases and ask for guidance for your particular day care center. We will answer your question directly or get your message to the nurses and have one of them call you back.
The following are some reminders of guidance our nurses often give to child care programs calling in about cases.
- A close contact is anyone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period.
- When identifying who is a close contact in your program:
- Consider who was in close contact with the COVID-infected person for a total of 15 minutes over the 2 days before the infected person began showing symptoms.
- If the COVID-infected person is not showing symptoms, consider who was in close contact with the COVID-infected person for a total of 15 minutes over the 2 days before the person was tested for COVID.
- The COVID-positive person will need to isolate for 10 days from the date their symptoms started or the date they took their test if asymptomatic.
- They may return on day 11 if symptoms are improving and they are fever-free (without medication) 24 hours prior to return.
- Close contacts will need to quarantine. Any classrooms or areas of the child care facility in which the infected person spent time should be deep cleaned.
Once we receive your email, the nurses will reach back out to you with any further guidance you are needing. Thank you for your patience and for all your work to keep children, staff, and families safe!
APH COVID-19 Child Care Response Team