Get Help Buying Food While School is Closed
Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT)
This program (P-EBT) is for families with children who were eligible for free or reduced-price school meals during the 2019-2020 school year.
- P-EBT will offer families a one-time cash benefit of $285 per child eligible for free or reduced-price school meals.
- P-EBT is not SNAP, but follows the same rules. Benefits come on a Lone Star Card or Texas P-EBT card and may be spent on food only, just like SNAP benefits.
- Families with children age 5-18 who were already receiving SNAP in March will be automatically enrolled in P-EBT. Funds will be available on existing Lone Star Cards by May 22.
- Families who did not receive SNAP in March but have children eligible for free or reduced-price meals at school must apply for the program online starting June 1. School districts will send eligible families a link to the application and more information about the program by May 31. Benefits will come on a Texas P-EBT Card.
- All children up to age 21 who are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals are eligible for P-EBT benefits, regardless of immigration status. Receiving these benefits will not affect a family’s immigration status.
More information about the program is available online from Texas Health and Human Services (HHSC) at hhs.texas.gov/pebt